Does your Skin, Hair, Beauty and Personal Care Products contain these nasty chemicals?
Here are a few of the most common suspicious ingredients found in every day skin, hair, beauty and personal care products :
Mineral Oil, Paraffin, and Petrolatum
– Petroleum products that coat the skin like plastic, clogging pores and creating a build-up of toxins, which in turn accumulate and can lead to dermatologic issues.
Slows cellular development, which can cause you to show earlier signs of aging.
Suspected cause of cancer.
Disruptive of hormonal activity. By the way, when there’s an oil spill in the ocean, don’t they rush to clean it up – fast? Why put that stuff on your skin?
– Widely used as preservatives in the cosmetic industry (including moisturizers).
An estimated 13,200 cosmetic and skin care products contain parabens. Studies implicate their connection with cancer. They have hormone-disrupting qualities – mimicking estrogen – and interfering with the body’s endocrine system.
Phenol carbolic acid
– Found in many lotions and skin creams.
Can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma and even death from respiratory failure.
– Used as a moisturizer in cosmetics and as a carrier in fragrance oils and many other personal care products even toothpaste.
Shown to cause dermatitis, kidney or liver abnormalities, and may inhibit skin cell growth or cause skin irritation.
Acrylamide – Found in many hand and face creams.
Linked to mammary tumors in lab research.
Sodium laurel or lauryl sulfate (SLS), also known as sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
– Found in car washes, engine degreasers, garage floor cleaners… and in over 90% of personal care products! SLS breaks down the skin’s moisture barrier, easily penetrates the skin, and allows other chemicals to easily penetrate. Combined with other chemicals, SLS becomes a “nitrosamine,” a potent class of carcinogen. It can also cause hair loss. SLES is sometimes disguised with the labeling “comes from coconut” or “coconut-derived.”
– Poison! Danger! Harmful or fatal if swallowed! Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Made from petroleum or coal tar, and found in most synthetic fragrances.
Chronic exposure linked to anemia, lowered blood cell count, liver or kidney damage, and may affect a developing fetus. Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) contains toluene.
Other names may include benzoic and benzyl.
– Found in compounds known as PEG, Polysorbates, Laureth, ethoxylated alcohols. Common in a wide range of personal care products. The compounds are usually contaminated with high concentrations of highly volatile 1,4-dioxane, easily absorbed through the skin.
Dioxane’s carcinogenicity was first reported in 1965 and later confirmed in studies including one from the National Cancer Institute in 1978. Nasal passages and liver are the most vulnerable. Dioxane is easily removed during the manufacturing process by “vacuum stripping.” Warning: It is a synthetic derivative of coconut. Watch for hidden language on labels, such as “comes from coconut.”
Just How Safe Are Plastic Containers?
Certain plastics are the subject of debate in consumer advocate circles. You, too, should be asking questions about potential health risks… because there’s growing scientific evidence to justify your concerns.
Polycarbonates and phthalates are creating considerable controversy. Polycarbonates contain Bisphenol A (BPA) which mimics estrogen and is linked to breast and prostate cancer, diabetes, infertility, birth defects, and hyperactivity. Phthalates can harm the endocrine system, especially during pregnancy, breastfeeding, and childhood, and can cause birth defects.
Both BPA and phthalates can migrate into whatever is close at hand. Containers with BPA-free polyethylene or polypropylene marked with recycling numbers 2, 4, or 5 are considered safe. That’s why we use polypropylene-2, with NO Bisphenol A (BPA) or phthalates, for our Certified Organic products.
It’s important to ensure you know about all of the nasty ingredients in personal care products – Let me tell you there are so many more than the above so stay tuned as I will share more information on other chemicals in your everyday, conventional products soon!
Much love, grace and gratitude